With flu season upon us, it seemed like a great time to share this ancient Ayurvedic beverage known as golden turmeric mylk. Turmeric may be the most powerful therapeutic spice in the world with plenty science-based evidence to back up this claim. It has been used as a medicinal herb for thousands of years in traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Curcumin is the main active ingredient which has been shown to have powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. Evidence suggests curcumin from turmeric can:
- help decrease inflammation, a key factor in numerous diseases such as PCOS, Crohn’s, arthritis, and heart disease,
- improve brain function and prevent Alzheimer’s disease,
- improve insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetics,
- decrease depression and anxiety,
- decrease the risk of colon and prostate cancer.
Unfortunately, turmeric has low bioavailability. Therefore, if we want to benefit from its health properties it must be combined with specific compounds, such as black pepper or fat (ex. coconut oil). Heating turmeric slightly can also increase its bioavailability, but too much heat can degrade it, so keep this in mind when making this healing golden turmeric mylk.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 1-2 tspn of turmeric
- ½ tspn of cinnamon
- ½ tspn of cardamom
- ½ tspn of ginger (ground or fresh)
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 tspn coconut oil (optional, for additional turmeric absorption)
- Add the almond milk to a small pot on the stove and heat on low temperature.
- Add the turmeric, coconut oil, cinnamon, cardamon, and pepper.
- Stir frequently for a couple minutes until the milk is warm, but not boiling!
- Strain the milk and froth (I used a matcha whisk since I don’t have a milk frother).
- turmeric = anti-inflammatory, helps lower blood glucose levels and increase insulin sensitivity, anti-depressant, black pepper increases bioavailability
- cinnamon = may help balance glucose levels, lower cholesterol, and decrease triglycerides in blood
- ginger = anti-inflammatory, may help decrease fasting blood glucose, HbA1c, cholesterol and triglycerides
Drink it straight up or pour over oats to boost your morning oatmeal. Note: turmeric will stain almost everything yellow! So, choose your mug and tea towel wisely.
Have you tried golden turmeric mylk before?
More Turmeric Recipes:
PIN FOR LATER: