Anti-inflammatory Golden Turmeric Mylk

With flu season upon us, it seemed like a great time to share this ancient Ayurvedic beverage known as golden turmeric mylk. Turmeric may be the most powerful therapeutic spice in the world with plenty science-based evidence to back up this claim. It has been used as a medicinal herb for thousands of years in traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Curcumin is the main active ingredient which has been shown to have powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. Evidence suggests curcumin from turmeric can:

Unfortunately, turmeric has low bioavailability. Therefore, if we want to benefit from its health properties it must be combined with specific compounds, such as black pepper or fat (ex. coconut oil). Heating turmeric slightly can also increase its bioavailability, but too much heat can degrade it, so keep this in mind when making this healing golden turmeric mylk.

Golden Turmeric Mylk
INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk
  • 1-2 tspns of turmeric
  • ½ tspn of cinnamon
  • ½ tspn of cardamom
  • ½ tspn of ginger (ground or fresh)
  • pinch of black pepper
  • 1 tspn coconut oil (optional, for additional turmeric absorption)
Golden Turmeric Mylk
HOW TO:
  1. Add the almond milk to a small pot on the stove and heat on low temperature.
  2. Add the turmeric, coconut oil, cinnamon, cardamon, and pepper.
  3. Stir frequently for a couple minutes until the milk is warm, but not boiling!
  4. Strain the milk and froth (I used a matcha whisk since I don’t have a milk frother).

Golden Turmeric Mylk

PCOS POWERS:
  • turmeric = anti-inflammatory, helps lower blood glucose levels and increase insulin sensitivity, anti-depressant, black pepper increases bioavailability
  • cinnamon = may help balance glucose levels, lower cholesterol, and decrease triglycerides in blood
  • ginger = anti-inflammatory, may help decrease fasting blood glucose, HbA1c, cholesterol and triglycerides

Golden Turmeric Mylk

Drink it straight up or pour over oats to boost your morning oatmeal. Note: turmeric will stain almost everything yellow! So, choose your mug and tea towel wisely.

Have you tried golden turmeric mylk before?

More Turmeric Recipes:

Garlic Turmeric Hummus

Hemp Heart Turmeric Salad Dressing

Cinnamon Turmeric Spice Pumpkin Seeds

Anti-inflammatory Golden Turmeric Mylk (Vegan, Dairy-free)
Anti-inflammatory Golden Turmeric Mylk (Vegan, Dairy-free)
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Pinterest
Google+
RSS

62 Comments Add yours

1. Jessica W says:

I never knew that Tumeric had such great powers!
    xo Jessica

1. It is pretty remarkable when looking at its history and the studies that have been published. So many reasons to add more to our diets. 🙂

2. Joscelyn | Wifemamafoodie says:

I’m always hearing about the benefits of turmeric, so I definitely want to try this mylk very soon!

1. Wonderful! The beauty is how quick and easy it is to make, too. 😉

3. kimmieklewis says:

It sounds like it’s so good for you! How does it taste?

1. I really like the taste (more than anticipated). It is unique and difficult to describe. If you are a fan of cinnamon or ginger then you could always add more of those for stronger flavors.

1. Thanks. I was wondering the same thing about the taste KimmieKLewis! Sounds like it might need some covering up based on Phruitful Dish’s reply!

4. Barbara says:

This sure is a super powerful way to start the day, Dylan. And your pics are beautiful.

5. Laura says:

I’ve heard turmeric is great. I haven’t tried it yet though.

6. I’ve heard turmeric was good for you but I wasn’t sure how. This is good to know.

7. My parents have been drinking this since years. I love it too.

8. wow this is great!!! I’ve never heard of this. I like that you can make it at home. Thanks for the recipe.

9. Leslie says:

I have never tried it before but a lot of people i know love it. I think its great i just haven’t tried it yet. Could it be combined in soy milk rather than almond milk?

1. Dylan Cutler says:

Of course! Health-wise, I would recommend any plant-based mylk. Taste-wise, I can’t speak for any others asides from almond. 🙂

10. Amber says:

I haven’t tried this before. I would though! It looks good.

11. Elizabeth O. says:

Turmeric really has a lot of benefits that we should take advantage of! I think this is a lovely mix, it’s definitely going to help with inflammation and high blood pressure.

12. Christie says:

I’ve been meaning to jump on the turmeric bandwagon for the longest time now.
    Pouring turmeric milk over oats is a new one to me, and actually super clever. I think that’s what I’ll try for my first turmeric experience.

Christie’s Take on Life. xx

13. Claudette says:

I have been reading a lot about the health benefits of tumeric lately. Really must include it in my diet more.

14. Friends and family have been recommending turmeric for the longest time. It’s really packed with a lot of benefits! This sounds like a really amazing drink!

15. Thanks for sharing this important information.. Keep them coming

16. I swear by turmeric. Took this after my operation. Helps heal faster

17. I love learning about new home remedies and this one looks like one for the books, will save! I think its better than taking medication anyday, thanks!

18. I have a tumeric milk recipe that I love. I also have a spiced almond milk recipe that is so good and good for you too.

19. I definitely need to remember this, I’ve been using turmeric for a while now for inflammation internally, it’s incredible stuff.

20. Paige Strand says:

Oh I’ve heard of this! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

21. chaykadarina says:

My mother in law uses this in a lot of recipes! Love the color it gives the food!

22. Love golden tumeric milk. I had it in Santa Fe. Didn’t realize it was so easy to make. I might try it out this weekend.

23. Wow didn’t know turmeric had health benefits. Will definitely be using it more often!

24. Barrie says:

Very interesting! Didn’t know it could do so much!

25. I’ve tried turmeric milk with black pepper to drink. I usually took it to fight inflammation but it’s good to know that it helps for flu. Thanks for the recipe

26. Chloe says:

Funnily enough even my one year old daughter loves tumeric! We put it on our veges but this looks like a delicious way to try it! Thanks for the recipe

27. Great to know. I already enjoy using turmeric with the thought in mind that it is really good for quality health. Thank you for the recipe.

28. Teresa says:

I cook with turmeric a lot, but have yet to try turmeric milk. Great, informative post!

29. I love turmeric milk and recommend it often to my patients as an amazing food-based medicine. It’s so healing! Love your photos! They make me want to make a cup of it right now 🙂

30. Love turmeric, such a beneficial food in so many ways. Your version of Turmeric Milk sounds quite delicious. Would love to try it.

31. These ancient remedies have stood the test of time I am sure. I am going to try this this winter! Thanks for posting!

32. I love how vibrant this drink looks. Turmeric is so potent. 🙂

33. zulhardy says:

That’s an interesting take on tumeric. I didn’t know it could be incorporated into a drink. Usually my mum puts tumeric into fried chicken flour!

34. This looks like it will be pretty refreshing especially with the hint of the cinnamon. I will keep this in mind for the future -Breyona Sharpnack

35. i’ve been drinking this lately, love it! that nice kick and health benefits are amazing.

36. Lisa Rios says:

Turmeric has some wonderful health benefits and my grandma used it as a healing agent in many foods. The turmeric golden milk looks delicious and so easy to prepare as well. Would love to try it out right away!

37. This home remedy looks amazing, home remedies are often way better than taking over the counter meds. Thanks for sharing!

38. Rosey says:

Oh you do have perfect timing with the drink. The weather keeps changing so swfitly I know we’re risking getting sick.

39. Justine @ JustineCelina.com says:

I’ve ALWAYS wanted to try Golden Mylk. Totally going to whip your version up this winter! Just pinned it also. Cheers to our health, girl! 🙂

40. Chuck Vargas says:

This is an interesting remedy for anti-inflammatory. Definitely checking this out next time. 🙂

41. annika says:

My mom would make this for us when we were sick and we’d complain like crazy! How things have changed now! I love your version of this, will try it the next time I need a boost of health! Well done!

42. Alfonzowords says:

Se manifique! Loved the photo journal and descriptions.
    my grandmum likes to use tumeric too

43. Ana Ojha says:

Turmeric Milk is my Grand Ma’s all time recipe to fight with cold and flu. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!

44. R U S S says:

I have not tried anything Turmeric, but my Mom swears by it. Turmeric Milk looks good though. I’m curious though – how strong is the flavor of the Turmeric here?

45. Sarah Jean says:

I make this all the time but call it my magical elixir. haha

46. Hetal V says:

My mom used to make this for as a kid all the time- except it was much simpler- 1 cup of milk with1 tsp of turmeric and some ginger. My mom would even make a paste with turmeric and use it to treat sprains and bruises! It’s every Indian moms cure-all haha

47. mondiea says:

Ugh, I so need to start doing stuff like this regularly, but I’m so lazy! I had tried mixing tumeric with water in the morning, but obviously that isn’t nearly as tasty as I assume yours is.

48. Moni Love says:

Great post!! I have tried tumeric mylk back in the beginning of my journey to becoming vegan. And wanted to try it not only cause it looked soo delicious but for the great benefits as well. I have even found recipes where I can put it in my smoothies since I really love smoothies. I have just recently found out tho that this amazing stuff can help with my heartburn too! I will definitely be buying the ingredients again on my next shopping trip now that the weather is much cooler. It just tastes really good when heated. It puts me to sleep too.

49. Katrina Gehman says:

this is awesome. I use tumeric oil so i’m sure this would work as well. saving for later.

50. I love to make turmeric-based recipes. I usually make a turmeric broth for my soups and stews making sure to incorporate black pepper and coconut oil. I can’t wait to make this healthy and delicious golden mylk. I am featuring this post on the Healthy Living Link Party @Urbannaturale.com this week. Thanks for sharing this.

51. I’m a bit crazy to learn Turmeric through a video game, which has the same purpose as the ones listed above. It’s about time I use them in real life!

52. Brandon says:

This is great information for someone like me trying to cut back on sugar

53. Oh this looks and sounds delicious! I love all of the wonderful benefits of each ingredient 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing on the Healthy Living Link Party! We hope to see you back tonight!

54. I love golden milk! Wonderful information here, too, and I hope this encourages more people to try it 🙂

55. pj says:

I actually made this today at home, to take into work for the next few days. I actually went to the store and bought some coconut oil and added pepper as well, as I had visited a medical conference a few months ago and they said the same thing that you’ve mentioned about bioavailability of turmeric. I’ve not tasted the drink yet. But I’m real glad to have tried something new. JanD from travelartslife

56. Yup. It is definitely a winner. Just did an article on Turmeric and you really can’t go wrong with it! Again, I lOVE the layout of your blog!!

57. I’ve heard the benefits of turmeric. I love how you turned into a great drink