There is something sweet and elegant about the combination of raspberries and chocolate. I love drinking this protein shake after hitting the gym. Although the jury is still out on whether timing protein intake around resistance training in fact leads to greater strength gains, evidence does suggest that our overall daily protein intake plays an important role in building muscle and strength (1, 2). My experience with plant-based protein powders has confirmed they aren’t the most appealing supplement (so gritty!). Over time I have mastered masking the unpleasant flavor and texture by making shakes like this one. Simply toss all the ingredients in a blender and you are done!
- 1 scoop plant-based protein powder (organic, non-GMO)
- 1 cup frozen raspberries, organic if possible
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- handful of ice cubes
- raspberries = low glycemic load, high in antioxidants, high in fibre, may help lower inflammation and prevent cancer
- cocoa = high in antioxidants, may lower LDL cholesterol, can reduce high blood pressure, and may act as an antidepressant
- plant-based protein = helps decrease high cholesterol and manage insulin resistance, helps build lean muscle mass
- Saris, W. H. M., et al. “Protein Supplementation Augments the Adaptive Response of Skeletal Muscle to Resistance-Type Exercise Training: A Meta-Analysis.” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 96.6 (2012): 1454-64.
- Schoenfeld, Brad Jon, Alan Albert Aragon, and James W. Krieger. “The Effect of Protein Timing on Muscle Strength and Hypertrophy: A Meta-Analysis.” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 10.1 (2013): 53-65.