Anti-Inflammatory Beet Ginger Smoothie

Last week I pleasantly surprised my senses with this spur-of-the-moment, disease-fighting smoothie. Read on to learn why beets and ginger are staples in my medicine cabinet.

Beets offer many health benefits due to their numerous antioxidants. For starters, they contain betalains which have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, therefore, promoting cardiovascular and metabolic health. Betalains have even been shown to help suppress tumor growth in studies on multiple cancer cell lines and animal models. Other antioxidants found in beets include manganese, which helps regulate glucose metabolism, and vitamin C (in the greens). Beet greens also contain lutein which is known for maintaining eye health. For women who are pregnant or trying to conceive, beets’ folate, vitamin B and iron content makes this vegetable a worthy smoothie addition.  Finally, betaine, an amino acid found in beets, can act as an antidepressant.

Beet Ginger Smoothie
Beet Ginger Smoothie

Ginger has been used as a herbal medicine for years and is currently one of the most researched spices. Last year a study reported that daily ginger consumption lowered fasting blood sugar in those with type 2 diabetes. Previously, a randomized controlled trial demonstrated that ginger decreased cholesterol and triglyceride levels. These promising results demonstrate how beneficial ginger may be for women with PCOS.

Ingredients:

• 3 small fresh beets (steamed or raw) or 6 small canned beets (I store prepped beets in the freezer for a thicker smoothie)
  • 1 scoop pea protein powder
  • 1 small banana, fresh or frozen
  • 1 inch ginger
  • 1/4 cup coconut water

How to:

1. Add all ingredients to blender and go for a whirl! If it is not blending easily add more coconut water or water.

PCOS Powers:

• beets = good source of folate, anti-inflammatory, helps lower blood pressure, may help lower cholesterol, shown to reduce cancerous tumors in various animal models, beet leaves are high in iron (eat in moderation due to high oxalate content which can worsen gout and kidney stones)
  • ginger = anti-inflammatory, may help decrease fasting blood glucose, HbA1c, cholesterol and triglycerides
  • pea protein = helps decrease high cholesterol and manage insulin resistance, helps build lean muscle mass

Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Pinterest
Google+
RSS

48 Comments Add yours

1. That looks really good. And healthy. I keep hunting for a good smoothie recipe

1. Thanks for stopping by 🙂 Feel free to add it to your smoothie repertoire 😉

2. Lexes says:

This recipe looks bomb! I need to start making more smoothies since summer is coming around! The colors of the smoothie are so pretty too!

1. Thank you! Smoothies are so quick and easy to take on the go on summer adventures!

3. I love the bright colors! So pretty!

1. Thank you! I think the brightness makes it more appealing 🙂

4. This looks so good! The color is incredible!

1. Thank you! It happens to be my favorite color (unintentional) 😛

5. CookRook says:

A whole bunch of vitamins! Energy boost is guaranteed!

1. My favorite kind of energy boost 🙂

6. THEREALFITNESSJUNKY says:

I love beets, such a good veggie for energy!

1. For sure! There have been studies on beet juice improving athletic performance! So cool.

7. Amy says:

Beetroot and ginger, two culinary superheroes! I’ve been putting grated beets on my daily side salad and I’m trawling Pinterest regularly seeking out new ways to use ginger – I just love how it tastes!

1. Mhmm, beets on salad are a great idea. And yes, I love the extra bite ginger adds.

8. Great colors and super healthy! 🙂

1. Thank you for stopping by 🙂

9. Cole says:

Looks delicious! I love smoothies!

1. I love them for their speed and diversity!

10. Claire says:

Quite gorgeous and healthy too!

1. Indeed! Thanks for checking it out! xoxo

11. seriously, that looks amazing!

1. Thank you! I sure liked it 🙂

12. The color looks amazing! 🙂 So I’m guessing it would have to taste just as great!

13. Looks bomb!!! And colorful too 🙂

14. This looks so bright and colourful and sounds lush!

15. I never would have thought to pair banana with beets and ginger but this looks great. Love the colors!

16. Markus Mueller says:

The bright color is just awesome! i am planting my own beets this year and can’t wait to give this recipe a go!

1. That is amazing. Home-grown veggies sure taste better, eh? Good luck with the planting and I hope they stay safe from any ravenous animals!

17. DianaL says:

The smoothie looks lovely – beautiful color. Would you suggest including the beet greens in the smoothie as well?

1. Hi Diana! I definitely would suggest including beet greens! They have different health benefits then the actual beet. I didn’t include them here so I could achieve the brilliant pink color :P. I guess aesthetics won this round!

18. You know, I’ve never had beets before, and I’ve recently been experimenting with ginger but never the fresh stuff. Plus pea protein powder? What a unique combo, full of healthy ingredients. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

1. You gotta try beets!! There are so many ways to eat them (all on the handy-dandy internet). Thanks for the great feedback! I love the protein powder I use. I have tried so many vegan brands and it is the best tasting and cheapest (sweet!).

19. Simply Said Seven says:

I think I need to grow some beets, and some ginger!

Thank you for linking up on Nest Builders Link Up, we would love to have you back next week.

20. Catrin - theVeganista says:

Wow, this color is amazing! I love beets, and the color just makes it even more perfect! Will definitely try this out! <3

21. ratna says:

I love the smoothie. How can I replace the pea protein powder? I like natural foods. Thanks

1. Hmm, you could simply omit it and have everything else as is. Or if you are after the protein I also use oats or dairy-free yogurt. 🙂 Thanks for popping by!

22. kage2015 says:

I am slowly becoming a beet fan and will give this a try.

23. Not the biggest fan of beetroot but I might try this as I like the idea of ginger! I make a green smoothie everyday. 🙂

Oliver • http://suedeandsymphony.com

24. Beets and Ginger are my FAVORITE. I will be more than happy to make this one tomorrow! Thanks!

25. infocultureweddingca says:

This looks great. I should try it. Now that I am pregnant, smoothies is all I crave!

26. Two of my most favorite vegetables and herbs ever! And what a lovely pink color it came out to be. This looks like something that would be on my blog because I make these types of smoothies everyday! Yum!!!

27. This looks amazing. I shall try this for sure. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

28. Jilliann says:

I have never tried beets but I know they are so good for you, I may have to try this!

29. Very nice Information. Will try it. I actually have beetroot juice which is also amazing.

Codingshivaay.in

30. Alicia says:

This is great!! I love all the health information.

31. That looks so refreshing! A little cafe by my work does a beet, ginger, apple juice and I LOVE it.