Once summer hits in British Columbia, farmers’ markets are in full swing. There is bountiful produce to enjoy, especially if you grow your own veggies or herbs. This recipe makes use of several market goodies: zucchini, tomatoes, mint, basil and garlic. Zucchini noodles are a low glycemic alternative to pasta and, for pesto-lovers, I have created a vegan, mint version high in flavour and healthy fats. Mint can help aid digestion and may even lower cholesterol. Let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment or sharing your versions with me @dr.dylancutler.
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- cherry tomatoes
- spiralizer (or sharp knife)
- If using a spiralizer, cut both ends of zucchini off and get to work! Otherwise, cut zucchini into thin slices.
- Wrap zucchini in paper towel to absorb excess liquid.
- Use a food processor to combine basil, mint, walnuts, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice until a smooth paste is formed.
- Combine zucchini with pesto and mix well. I added spoonfuls of pesto slowly until I reached the ratio I wanted, which resulted in half the pesto leftover.
- Add veggies, like tomatoes, or a high-protein source, such as beans or legumes, if you’d like to make this a meal. Enjoy your minty zoodles!
- zucchini = low glycemic alternative to pasta, anti-inflammatory, high in potassium which can help reduce blood pressure, fiber which can help lower cholesterol and polyphenols which may beneficially affect thyroid, adrenal and insulin regulation
- walnuts = no cholesterol, high in unsaturated fats which help reduce LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels, help prevent cardiovascular disease
- mint = aids indigestion, may help manage cholesterol
- extra virgin olive oil = anti-inflammatory, can manage cholesterol levels, studies show 1-2 tbsp a day can lower risk of certain types of cancers
- garlic = helps lower cholesterol, an antibiotic, & blood cleanser which relaxes blood vessels for easier blood flow