Gingerbread Pecans (Sugar-Free)

Pecans roasting on an open fire… and toasted to perfection! These roasted nuts have a festive twist and provide plenty of nourishment. Nuts are packed with omega 3s which reduce inflammation and keep our hearts healthy. Specifically, one study found that pecans may help lower levels of LDL cholesterol enough to decrease the risk of coronary heart disease by as much as 25%. These spiced pecans are free of refined sugars and make a great snack on their own, or are lovely sprinkled on oatmeal or granola. Warning: may cause kitchen to smell like a bakery.

Gingerbread Pecans

Ingredients:

• 1 cup pecans
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tspn cinnamon
  • 1/4 tspn ginger
  • 1/4 tspn all spice
  • 1/4 tspn nutmeg
  • pinch of salt
  • splash of pure maple syrup

Gingerbread Candied Pecans

How to:

1. Preheat oven to 250 deg F (cooking nuts above 250 deg F can produce harmful toxins).
  2. Stir oil, spices, and syrup in a small bowl.
  3. Drizzle over pecans in a larger bowl and toss to coat them.
  4. Spread out pecans in one layer on a baking sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper) and cook for 40-50 minutes.

PCOS Powers:

• pecans = high in ellagic and oleic acids which may help lower LDL cholesterol, protect against cardiovascular disease and lower breast cancer risk, high in magnesium which is anti-inflammatory and lowers blood pressure
  • cinnamon = may help balance glucose levels, lower cholesterol, and decrease triglycerides in blood
  • ginger =  anti-inflammatory, may help decrease LDL cholesterol, fasting blood glucose and HbA1c
  • coconut oil = anti-inflammatory, may positively impact thyroid function, may improve cholesterol profiles by increasing HDL cholesterol, use is controversial in the scientific community due to high saturated fat content so I use in moderation

References:

1. S. Rajaram, K. Burke, B. Connell, T. Myint and Joan Sabate’. 2001. A Monounsaturated Fatty Acid-Rich- Enriched Diet Favorably Alters the Serum Lipid Profile of Healthy Man and Women. Journal of Nutrition 131:2275-2279.
  2. Sherman L. Cinnamon improves blood pressure and blood sugar in diabetics. The Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2011:76.
  3. Najarzadeh A, Mahammadi M, Jalali B, Mozaffari-Khosravi H, Talaei B, Fallahzadeh H. The Effect of Ginger on Blood Glucose, Lipid and Lipoproteins in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: A Double-Blind Randomized Clinical Controlled Trial. Journal of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences. 2012;20:383-395.
  4. Grzanna R, Lindmark L, Frondoza C. Ginger-an herbal medicinal product with broad anti-inflammatory action. J Med Food. 2005;8:125-132.
  5. Assunção ML, Ferreira HS, dos Santos AF, Cabral J, Cyro R, Florêncio, Telma M M T. Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting abdominal obesity. Lipids. 2009;44:593-601.
  6. Yeap SK, Beh BK, Ali NM, et al. Antistress and antioxidant effects of virgin coconut oil in vivo. Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine. 2015;9:39-42.
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Pinterest
Google+
RSS

61 Comments Add yours

1. Brewsker says:

Great idea! I’ll definitely be trying these over Christmas!

1. Great to hear! Let me know what you think of them.. or even show me your creation on IG! 🙂 @allthingswithpassion

2. Claire says:

Look Yummy!!!!

3. roger says:

Looks and sounds great! Definitely want to try it but hold the pumpkin/cinnamon and ad extra maple syrup! Look forward to some good cooking at Xmas!

Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 20:54:26 +0000 To: roger.cutler@hotmail.com

1. I could bring some home for Christmas with those requests.. 😛

4. Oh wow, these look perfect! I’ve got all the ingredients on hand so I think I need to make these ASAP. I think they’d be an amazing addition to holiday desserts.

1. Totally agree! I am thinking maybe with vanilla ice cream would be nice (or ‘nice cream’) 🙂

5. Laura says:

These look great! Perfect for stocking stuffers or hostess gifts. As much as I love holiday treats, I prefer to make something that is healthy too.

1. Thanks Laura 🙂 I agree! I think there are enough treats presented to me that are far from nutritious, sometimes in situations or times difficult to turn down, that if I am going to make something myself I want to feel great about it.

6. sugarlovespices says:

I’ve just bought a bag of pecans, and that’s how they’re going to be made! Plus, I have all the other ingredients, so… We like snacking on nuts, but never that fancy. Time to bring them to the next level ;-).

1. Great idea! Nuts sure aren’t cheap, eh?! But always put to good use 🙂

7. Joyce says:

Love spiced nuts – thank you!

1. Dylan says:

You are welcome 🙂

8. carole says:

wow, those look delicious! Going on to my “to make this xmas” list

1. I have one of those lists too (and am wondering just how many I will actually get to :P) siiigh

9. Love gingerbread and pecans…so this is an awesome combination for me. Would be great at parties this holiday season!!

1. I had that idea in mind, too! Glad you liked the combo.

10. These look awesome! I might have to try this recipe with almonds too! Great idea for a healthy holiday treat!

11. certifiedpastryaficionado says:

I loved candied pecans but I have a feeling I am gonna love this festive version even more!

12. michelle says:

LOVE this recipe! I will definitely try it out. Thanks!

13. fulltimecanada says:

This sounds super delicious!

14. jesusglitter says:

My mom loves these pecans, but hasn’t had them do the sugar content. I am excited to make these for her for Christmas! She will be thrilled!

15. Barbara says:

Oh yum, Dylan, I can just smell these roasting in the oven now. I’d love them in a salad or just by the handful. 🙂

16. Wow these look delicious, I’ll have to try making them for sure!

17. Redawna says:

Pecans have always been my favourite! These sound fantastic!

18. Such a great idea! I’m going to try!

19. Jenni Petrey says:

These sound delicious, I have never thought of doing this. Will definitely b trying this.

20. 2014ritchie says:

Love that there is no sugar.

21. infocultureweddingca says:

This looks so yummy! I will be pinning this so I can try it.

22. Jackie says:

This is a great idea for a healthy holiday treat. I didn’t realize that pecans had so many health benefits.

23. peachykeen32 says:

These look and sound so delicious! My mama, daddy and husband would love them! I’m pining this so I can make them when my mama and I do all our Christmas baking!

1. Wonderful!! I gave these as gifts last Christmas and they were a hit. I wish you luck!

24. I am not a huge fan of pecans but I love gingerbread. I might give them a try again with the gingerbread twist.

1. IF you try them I would love to hear if they change your opinion of pecans! Then, I could really plug this recipe for pecan haters 😛

25. What a great idea! They look so tasty, it would be a perfect edible gift idea for Christmas 🙂

26. kimmieklewis says:

this looks so good! I’m drooling right now!

27. Yummy! This recipe is to die for. I am not a cook but it looks I can actually do this

1. I bet you can, too! I don’t call myself a cook either so most my recipes are simplistic 🙂

28. pj says:

I’ve always wondered how I could toast pecans without burning them. Now I know! This should be something I would like to try, though I don’t have coconut oil. I don’t mind the kitchen smelling like the bakery though 😉 JanD

1. Not burning nuts is sure tricky and takes some attention. I have sure burned a few batches over the years. 🙁 Would much rather the bakery scent!

29. Suzanne says:

This sounds way too freaking delicious! Yummy 🙂

1. They are addictive! Maybe I should have warned everyone in the post….

30. I really love pecans and pecan pie is my favorite next to pumpkin! Your recipe for gingerbread pecans looks delightful and very holidayish! Love it!

1. Happy you dropped by! Thanks for letting me know your thoughts 🙂

31. This recipe sounds delicious and perfect for the holidays!

1. Thank you! I like them to balance all the sweets at holiday parties and in the office.

32. These look amazing! I’m always trying to find something unique to make for holiday gifts for the office and these look like they might do the trick. Package them in some cute little bags or boxes and I’m good to go! Thank you for the inspiration!

1. Absolutely! I actually packaged them in mason jars last year with cute labels I printed out and gave them as gifts. I think they will be a hit in the office!

33. Marianne says:

That sounds delicious, easy to make and healthy to boot. Thank you!

34. Lulle.Beaumiroir says:

It sounds like such a delicious and healthy snack!

35. Lindsey says:

Oh my gosh! These look delicious!

36. Erlene says:

I love when the house smells like a bakery. We just started out Christmas baking and might have to put this on my baking list.

37. Amber says:

Oh yum, I love candied nuts! I must make these.

38. Mandi says:

These look absolutely amazing! I must try them.

39. Oh wow, these look and sound awesome!! I love cinnamon, so I would probably double the amount. 😀 😀

40. Um, YUM. These are a perfect snack for this time of year. I’ll put them out for entertaining this holiday season!

41. andrea says:

I LOVE pecans!!! And this recipe sounds amazing. Also would be a perfect hostess gift too.

42. Leticia says:

Yummy!! And so easy to make! I love your recipes! I will be trying this one for sure!