Give your oatmeal a boost with seeds high in omega-3s which are important for the health of our brain, heart, liver and bones.
Oatmeal provides a simple, nourishing breakfast on its own, but we can easily up our oatmeal game with the help of some super seeds. Chia, hemp and flax seeds are all plant-based sources of protein, fiber, and omega-3 polyunsaturated fats.
Any type of oats (steel cut, rolled, or quick) are great, however, steel cut are the least processed and lowest in glycemic load. This keeps blood sugar levels stable and helps us stay energized. I hope you enjoy the great combination of flavors and the numerous health benefits of this gooey, aromatic bowl of super seed oatmeal.
- 1/2-3/4 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups water or nut milk
- 1/2-1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2-1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2-1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- fruit toppings
- nut butter
Long Version (steel cut oats):
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add steel cut oats to the boiling water on the stove, turn down temperature to low. Let oats cook for 10 min.
- Stir in hemp hearts, chia seeds, flax seeds, and cinnamon (optional: splash of almond milk).
- Wait for the remaining liquid to soak up.
- Top with fruit and a healthy fat, like nut butter.
Quick Version (rolled or Quick oats):
- Add equal parts oats (rolled or quick) and nut milk together and stir.
- Stir in hemp hearts, chia seeds, flax seeds and cinnamon.
- Cover and place in fridge overnight.
- In morning, add toppings and dig in!
- steel cut oats = low glycemic load, high in fiber, maintains blood sugar levels, and contains tryptophan which boosts serotonin levels for better sleep and a stable mood
- chia seeds = high in omega 3s which can help decrease high testosterone and improve egg quality
- hemp hearts = high in protein, fibre, and essential fatty acids (omega 3, 6 & 9) which may improve cholesterol profiles, may reduce inflammation
- flax seeds = may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure, contain lignans which may increase sex hormone-binding globulin and therefore lower blood testosterone levels
- cinnamon = may help balance glucose levels, lower cholesterol, and decrease triglycerides in blood
More ways to use super seeds:
Pin For Later:
Is this a smoothie or a salad? You decide!
Call me a rebel but I like eating salad for breakfast. Spinach is the featured ingredient in this smoothie bowl because it is a champion at providing many vitamins and minerals including the following inflammation-fighters: vitamins K, A, C and B6. It’s also an excellent source of folate, magnesium, and calcium. I included vitamin C-rich strawberries to help with iron absorption (if you are trying to boost your iron intake, greens like kale and swiss chard may be more beneficial than spinach). Most uniquely, spinach contains various plant compounds including kaempferol, which has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer, and nitrates, which have been shown to decrease blood pressure.
Avocado is the other green superfood featured in this breakfast bowl. A meta-analysis published earlier this year concluded that including avocado in our diets can assist in lowering total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Also, its omega-3 content can help lower inflammation.
P.S. This smoothie bowl is banana-free! Previously, frozen bananas were my not-so-secret ingredient for achieving a thick consistency, however, in an effort to decrease my banana consumption I have discovered dairy-free yogurt makes a great alternative. Do you have other ideas for replacing frozen bananas? Let me know in the comments below!
The full recipe can be found in my vegan eBook: Cooking with Compassion – 30 Vegan, Gluten-Free Recipes to Nourish Ourselves, Our Families & Our Planet
- spinach = anti-inflammatory, low glycemic index, anti-cancer effects, excellent source of magnesium & calcium, avoid large amounts if prone to kidney stones or taking blood thinners
- avocado = anti-inflammatory, low glycemic index, high in fiber, may help lower LDL “bad” cholesterol and maintain normal serum total cholesterol levels, contains glutathione which has anti-carcinogenic properties and may boost immunity
- plant-based protein = helps decrease high cholesterol, manage blood sugar levels, helps build lean muscle mass
- low glycemic fruits (plums and strawberries) = help maintain blood sugar levels
For 10% off vegan hemp protein powder, greens and more use code: PHRUITFULDISH