Plant-based bowls offer versatility, simplicity and beauty to healthy lifestyles. Enjoy this macro bowl featuring turmeric roasted cauliflower, spinach, zucchini and more.
Oatmeal provides a simple, nourishing breakfast on its own, but we can easily up our oatmeal game with the help of some super seeds. Chia, hemp and flax seeds are all plant-based sources of protein, fiber and omega-3 polyunsaturated fats. Studies have found that omega-3s may:
- reduce symptoms of PCOS and metabolic syndrome such as insulin resistance,
- boost brain functioning, especially during developmental years and later in life,
- assist in the prevention and treatment of depression and anxiety,
- support eye health through preventing macular degeneration,
- relieve menstrual pain, perhaps better than ibuprofen,
- improve heart health through decreasing triglycerides and improving cholesterol,
- help fight autoimmune diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s and more.
Any type of oats (steel cut, rolled, or quick) are great, however, steel cut are the least processed and lowest in glycemic load. This keeps blood sugar levels stable and helps us stay energized. I hope you enjoy the great combination of flavors and the numerous health benefits of this gooey, aromatic bowl of super seed oatmeal.
- 1/2-3/4 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups water or nut milk
- 1/2-1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2-1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2-1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- fruit toppings
- nut butter
Long Version (steel cut oats):
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add steel cut oats to the boiling water on the stove, turn down temperature to low. Let oats cook for 10 min.
- Stir in hemp hearts, chia seeds, flax seeds, and cinnamon (optional: splash of almond milk).
- Wait for the remaining liquid to soak up.
- Top with fruit and a healthy fat, like nut butter.
Quick Version (rolled or Quick oats):
- Add equal parts oats (rolled or quick) and nut milk together and stir.
- Stir in hemp hearts, chia seeds, flax seeds and cinnamon.
- Cover and place in fridge overnight.
- In morning, add toppings and dig in!
- steel cut oats = low glycemic load, high in fiber, maintains blood sugar levels, and contains tryptophan which boosts serotonin levels for better sleep and a stable mood
- chia seeds = high in omega 3s which can help decrease high testosterone and improve egg quality
- hemp hearts = high in protein, fibre, and essential fatty acids (omega 3, 6 & 9) which may improve cholesterol profiles, may reduce inflammation
- flax seeds = may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure, contain lignans which may increase sex hormone-binding globulin and therefore lower blood testosterone levels
- cinnamon = may help balance glucose levels, lower cholesterol, and decrease triglycerides in blood
More ways to use super seeds:
Pin For Later:
A low glycemic alternative to pasta with a vegan’s take on pesto.