I have recently discovered the powers of ashwagandha, an Ayurvedic herbal supplement, firsthand. As an adaptogen, it has the ability to assist the body counteract physical and mental effects of stress. Strong evidence suggests ashwagandha can help notably decrease anxiety (especially related to chronic stress) while also relieving insomnia and combating depression (whoa, where have you been all my life?!). One of its main mechanisms of action is reducing cortisol. Other notable benefits, particularly for women with PCOS, include it’s anti-inflammatory effects (research demonstrates a reduction in C-reactive protein) and it’s ability to reduce total cholesterol and blood glucose levels (minorly).
Another mood-boosting, anti-inflammatory herb in this soothing elixir is turmeric. If you have seen my golden mylk recipe you’ll know why I am a huge fan of this beautiful yellow spice. Check out my article for information on turmeric’s many health benefits. PS. the addition of black pepper is important to enhance turmeric’s bioavailability.
When I drink this elixir before bed I find that my sleep is less disrupted and I wake up more easily in the morning. What have you experienced when taking ashwagandha?
- 1 tsp turmeric root
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ashwagandha
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup nut milk
- pinch of black pepper
1. Heat nut milk (or water) on medium heat with the turmeric root for 2-3 minutes.
2. Turn heat down to low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Whisk in remaining ingredients and drink immediately.
All these healing herbs can be found online at Finlandia Pharmacy & Natural Health Centre and at their location in Vancouver, B.C.
Coming up: We’re launching a 1 WEEK MOOD-BOOSTING FOOD CHALLENGE (VEGAN) and we want to invite you to join. Sign up using the banner at the top of your screen to get your FREE MEAL GUIDE sent to your inbox, along with delicious recipes for the week. The challenge runs Feb 13-19th.
- – 7-day meal guide
- – grocery list
- – daily tips for managing mood through food, movement, self-care and self-love
- – social media support & community with @phruitfuldish & @thewritereats
- – IMPORTANT: you don’t HAVE to follow our meal guide, it is just a guide. Our blog articles and recipes are here for ideas, inspiration and fun!