Why I LOVE green smoothies:
There are countless reasons why incorporating more vegetables, especially leafy greens, in our diets can positively influence our health. I find the simplest and quickest way to increase my vegetable intake is by blending greens and taking them with me on-the-go. Here are some of the reasons I aim for one green smoothie a day:
1) Increasing fruit and vegetable consumption (leafy greens in particular) helps prevent heart disease.
2) Green vegetables contain compounds that support our immune system.
3) Greater leafy green consumption has been associated with lower rates of type 2 diabetes.
4) Spinach can help stabilize blood sugar levels.
5) Kale provides greater calcium absorption than milk.
6) Fruit and vegetable consumption decreases the risk of cancers of the stomach, esophagus, lung, oral cavity and pharynx, endometrium, pancreas, and colon.
Basic Green Smoothie:
- 2 handfuls of organic spinach
- 2 pieces of organic celery
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 chunk fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup almond mylk
Add-ins for more substance, antioxidants and flavor:
- plant-based protein powder
- ground flax seed
- fresh spirulina
- moringa powder
- high quality matcha tea
- maca powder
- apple or kiwi
- spinach = anti-inflammatory, low glycemic index, anti-cancer effects, excellent source of iron, magnesium, & calcium, avoid large amounts if prone to kidney stones or taking blood thinners
- fresh ginger = anti-inflammatory, may help decrease fasting blood glucose and HbA1c
- avocado = anti-inflammatory, low glycemic index, high in fiber, may help lower LDL “bad” cholesterol and maintain normal serum total cholesterol levels, contains glutathione which has anti-carcinogenic properties and may boost immunity
- spirulina =anti-inflammatory, strengthens immunity, detoxifies liver, source of protein, beta-carotene, iron, selenium and zinc, may lower glucose levels and help manage diabetes
- maca = source of B12, calcium, and iron, may increase well-being, decrease anxiety and depression, increase libido, and reduce symptoms of menopause
- moringa = small studies have shown a minor decrease in postprandial glucose and HbA1c, may reduce inflammation, may help lower cholesterol
PIN FOR LATER:
Use code: PHRUITFULDISH for 20% off hemp protein powder by Ergogenics Nutrition