When stressed we often reach for foods that will give us comfort (think carbs). What our bodies are really telling us is that we need to boost our serotonin levels to help stabilize our mood. How smart our bodies are! Not only will complex carbs help us make more serotonin, but they will ensure we maintain a steady supply of this feel-good neurotransmitter. A great example is oatmeal. Maybe overnight oats will become one of your stress management tools. I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 mango
- Whisk together oats, almond milk, coconut and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Place in fridge overnight.
- In the morning puree mango in food processor (leave some for the topping).
- Get creative layering the oat mixture with fruit mixture, or simply mix everything together.
- cinnamon = may help balance glucose levels, lower cholesterol, and decrease triglycerides in blood
- rolled oats = low glycemic load, high in fiber, maintains blood sugar levels, and contains tryptophan which boosts serotonin levels for better sleep and a stable mood
If you want to get my blog posts straight to your inbox, keep scrolling to find the button to follow my blog!